How many times have you heard it said, “Lucky you live Hawaii?” That’s also true when it comes to making plans for your pet’s “stay-cation” while you travel. Just like living here, dog boarding in Hawaii offers some special benefits. For example, your pet can enjoy outdoor activities pretty much year-round.
Besides that, because of our year-round pleasant weather, some boarding kennels on Oahu (such as Tradewinds) offer indoor/outdoor kennels with attached runs. This means that your pet can enjoy time indoors or outdoors as she chooses. And if you choose a fresh-air boarding kennel, you may find that your dog is less likely to experience respiratory problems like kennel cough. This is because of the improved air circulation that comes from a “fresh air” set-up.
In choosing a Hawaii dog boarding facility, here are some questions to ask and some things to look for as you consider your options:
- Does the facility offer kennel tours/previews?
- How does the kennel appear when you drive up? Is it clean and tidy?
- How does it smell? Fresh? Clean? Or Not?? Your pet will enjoy clean, odor-free accommodations as much as you do.
- Is the staff friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable?
- Does the kennel require proof of vaccinations? If not, keep looking. The last thing you need is to have your canine BFF catch something from another dog.
- If food is included in your daily rate, what brand is fed and how much is given? How often are guests fed?
- When guests go outside, are they able to play freely or are they walked on a leash?
- Will your pet be playing in a group with other guests, or will she have her own private playtime in the yard?
Watch next week’s blog post for more tips on choosing a boarding kennel and how to prepare your pet for her Hawaiian stay-cation.