Discounts available for active and retired military. Details here.

Beware: Raisins, Grapes and Other People Favorites Can be Toxic to Your Dog

Posted · 1 Comment

I just saw this today and thought it might be of value to other dog lovers. . .

By Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic 
Danville , OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5-year-old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.  He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7 AM. 

I had heard somewhere about raisins and grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me – had heard something about it, but… 

Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said  to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 time maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. 

The dog’s BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter off fluids.  At that point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. 

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn’t control his vomiting.

Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 …

He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler’s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can  be fatal, too. 

Confirmation from Snopes about the above: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp  

One Response to "Beware: Raisins, Grapes and Other People Favorites Can be Toxic to Your Dog"
  1. Sherry says:

    I had read something about grape and raisin toxicity in Ann Martin’s book “Food Pets Die For,” but she didn’t go into details about the effects. Your story really highlights the importance of being careful what our pets put into their mouths. I have two young cats that are very curious about all sorts of things. I have been careful to keep the foods I know are toxic to dogs out of their reach, but now I’m curious–are those foods actually similarly toxic to cats? And are there others I need to beware of?

Comments are closed.

 
 
Facebook