When your pup is sick, you may be beside yourself with worry. If your vet is prescribing medicine for treatment, be sure to get all the information you can upfront about the meds. The FDA recommends you ask these 10 questions to help Fluffy get the best treatment possible:
- Why has my pet been prescribed this medication and how long do I need to give it?
- How do I give the medication to my pet? Should it be given with food?
- How often should the medication be given and how much should I give each time? If it is a liquid, should I shake it first?
- How do I store the medication?
- What should I do if my pet vomits or spits out the medication?
- If I forget to give the medication, should I give it as soon as I remember or wait until the next scheduled dose? What if I accidentally give too much?
- Should I finish giving all of the medication, even if my pet seems to be back to normal?
- Could this medication interact with other medications my pet is taking?
- What reactions should I watch for, and what should I do if I see any side effects?
- When should I bring my pet back for a recheck? Will you be calling me to check on my pet’s progress, or should I call you?
Don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian if your dog is being treated with a prescription medicine.