Wondering what on Earth to do with all that leftover Thanksgiving Turkey? At our house, we love turkey sandwiches, but even so, they have a limit. Here’s a great idea from the Dog Crazy Newsletter. . .You can turn leftover turkey into a tasty treat for your dog.
Lazy Turkey Loaf (for dogs)
Makes 6 servings
• 2 pounds ground turkey
• 1/2 cup cooked vegetables
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder*
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup quick-cook barley
• 1 cup quick-cook oats
• 4 ounces canned no-fat gravy
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
• In a mixing bowl combine turkey, vegetables, garlic powder, egg, barley and oats.
• Mix thoroughly.
• Spoon into a greased loaf pan and pat down meat mixture until level. Spread gravy on top of loaf and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
• Cool and cut into six even slices. Store unused portions in refrigerator.â€¨â€¨
* Garlic powder in small amounts is not considered dangerous to dogs.
Be careful not to feed your dog pieces of leftover turkey and especially not turkey skin. Because of the high fat content, it could potentially cause pancreatitis in dogs. Preparing the turkey as recommended in these recipes is a much healthier way for your pet to enjoy it.
If your pet is showing any signs of distress or you suspect your pet is seriously ill, CONTACT YOUR VETERINARIAN immediately.
All of the information presented in this blog post was developed by Intelligent Content Corporation staff members and is the sole responsibility of Intelligent Content Corporation. See the legal terms on their website for additional legal terms.